Hack Jam Log Book is a log of progress made in and around a weekly hack session. Topics include natural language processing, high energy electronics, linguistics, interface design, &c. Enjoy.

Recent Posts:

Archives:

8.8.09

 

a lisp

I'm working on designing a programming language. I am doing so because I want to do more of what I enjoy about programming. Boilerplate code does nothing for me. It is the beautiful code, the obvious-once-you-see-it-but-what-were-you-smoking-when-you-saw-it code, that makes me enjoy programming. I want a language that maximizes my experience of the numinous, a language that comes as close to the platonic program in my head as it can.

I don't want a super-efficient language, or a minimal language, or a super-readable language. I want a language that is fun.

The most controversial way I can put it is probably also the best: there is a quote.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." – Brian W. Kernighan

My design philosophy is this: I want a language in which I can code as cleverly as possible. Because I enjoy it. To hell with anything else.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]