Hack Jam Log Book is a log of progress made in and around a weekly hack session. Topics include natural language processing, high energy electronics, linguistics, interface design, &c. Enjoy.

Recent Posts:

Archives:

13.11.08

 

Makefile , Blink , and Software Controlled Buttons

As promised, another update on the glorious piano project.

This week has mostly been about getting a good solid foundation for development. After some time, I managed to make my first Makefile specifically for the Atmega16 and my avr-toolchain. I also managed to test it both on my JTAG programmer, as well as Sam's STK500v2 which I'm still in possession of.

Additionally, I spent a good deal of time trying to get a software controlled switch to work. Getting the code to compile and upload to the Atmega was simplified with my Makefile, for sure, but for some reason the silly microcontroller was resetting on me. The data sheet didn't seem to provide much help [I went through all of the RESETs listed, to no avail]. Sam suggested I research the internal pull-up resistors, but they seemed to hold the current around +3V, and also produce the same intermittent reset problem. I finally said enough was enough and decided to do external pull-up resistors. If you are interested, here is a site which shows the basic diagram of how to put a switch into a Microcontroller: http://www.micahcarrick.com/05-15-2006/avr-tutorial-switch-debounce.html .

I've uploaded my sample code onto my website for now. You can find all of the available warez under http://brandon.bagwellonline.com/piano . Currently, you will find a simple "blink" program, a "swbutton" [which has a software-controlled button listed], the Makefile, and eventually an image of my JTAG programming breadboard. Hopefully, I will add more interesting pics as they become available, but with were the project is at the moment, all the fun will exist in the world of C, Assembly, and my head.

Updates will be coming, though they will be slower since the end of the year is a busy time for me at work [everyone else is burning their vacation time]. Besides, I'm still catching up on Doctor Who and Business Week.

More next time,

Brandon

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]